When Is It Time For Assisted Living?
Assisted living may be the right choice if:
- You or your loved one needs more personal care services than can be received at home or in an independent living retirement community, but do not require around the clock skilled care provided in a nursing home.
- The activities of daily living are becoming stressful or overwhelming. If family or home health are not able to bridge the gap, assisted living is a good option.
- You or your loved one feel lonely or isolated at home. Having an active social life is vital to your health and happiness. Being alone the majority of the time can lead to feelings of depression. The social aspect of assisted living is a huge benefit.
- You or your loved one worry for your safety. If getting out of bed safely, transferring from sitting to standing and vice versa, bathing, falling, and other safety concerns are a daily worry, it may be time to look into assisted living.
- Maintaining your home is becoming overwhelming. There are many responsibilities that come with living in your own home. Cooking, cleaning, shopping for groceries, laundry, and other every day chores are services that an assisted living can provide in a home-like atmosphere.
- Transportation is an issue. If you or your loved one is having trouble driving or can no longer drive, and public transportation or another alternative are not an option, you may become increasingly housebound. Most assisted livings offer transportation so you can get to where you need to go without having to rely on friends and family.